Wednesday, September 19, 2012

One month and counting....


Today is September 19th, 2012. We have officially lived in Alaska for one month. Update for the past month is...

We are settled in our home. House is unpacked. Decorating is done.

We are settled in a great church. We have went the past 4 Sundays and really enjoyed the message and worship. We have started attending a life group that our Pastor and his wife leads. We get together every Monday night and discuss the sermon that was preached that weekend. We have started meeting people and that helps allot.

Boys are settled in school. Bradley has joined band and is going to play the Alto Saxophone. More on that later. Ethan is going to be joining boy scouts. He doesn't really want to, but I really believe it's right up his alley and he will love it.  We shall see...

Bob is settled in at work. Not sure how, but he is :)

I am settled? I am not sure on this one....I would say yes and no...

OK, so at this point I have begun to wonder what the definition of settled is, since it seems to be the most popular word in my blog today...

set·tle (stl)
v. set·tled, set·tling, set·tles
v.tr.
1. To put into order; arrange or fix definitely as desired.
2. To put firmly into a desired position or place;
 
So I guess after reading the definition of settle, I believe I am settled but not the way I thought it should look. Does this make sense? Because even though I don't "feel" settled, I know I am right where I am supposed to be.

But it is hard at times. I miss Minnesota, I miss my family, I miss my friends, I miss my church.

I just find myself in a really quiet time. I am not used to this. I know I need it. I just thought if it's what I needed then it would be easy to embrace it and be content. But no the quietness is harder that I thought at times. Just being honest...

But I guess it's only been a month...here's to a month and counting :)

On a lighter note....here are some fun things we have done in Alaska our first month here.

We hiked Flattop Mountain. It is the most climbed mountain in the state. And I might have thought I would die on parts of the hike. It was pure torture. Bob and the kids LOVED it...I liked it. And the views made it worth it.

I did it!




This is the easy part of the hike.

 
These next 3 photos are of us "Panning for Gold" on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Contrary to popular belief (Ethan) we did not strike it rich. We went with a couple and thier kids we had met at small group and had fun.


 
These next photo's are of the Eagle River Nature Center.  We hiked 6 miles on this particular afternoon. I was afraid a bear or a moose would descend on us any second. I had fun but was afraid for my life most of the hike.  And NO I was not worried about Bradley and Ethan's life...why you ask? They made fun of my fear the entire time....NOT Funny! OK maybe a little....but only because I am not on the hike anymore.
 



 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Absolutely beautiful. Pictures are great, they make me want to visit. Wish nothing but the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Looks beautiful and sounds like fun! :)

    ReplyDelete